What is the difference between a barber and a cosmetologist in practice?
What can one do that the other cannot?
The answer is relatively simple and is defined in statute and through opinions issued by the Attorney General.
• By statute, only a barber may remove hair from the face or body with a razor.
• A Cosmetologist may not remove and facial or body hair with a razor or shave the outline of a haircut.
What do I need to enroll?
To register, please provide:
• Current State Issued Driver’s License , State ID, or Passport
• (3) Three Letters of Reference (non-relative)
• Proof of Education High School Diploma/GED
• $25 Application Fee
• (4) 2X2 Photos-passport size
• Official School Transcripts (only needed if you do not have diploma/GED copy)
• TDLR Criminal History Questionnaire (Can be found at www.license.state.tx.us/misc/lic002.pdf)
Veteran’s-Additional Registration Information Needed
• Military Transcripts
• Transcripts from all post-secondary schools
• Certificate of Eligibility
How long will I have to attend?
Class A Barber (1500 hours)-50 weeks
Manicurist (600 hours)-20 weeks
Barber Instructor (750 hours)-26 weeks
Barber Instructor (500 hours)-16 weeks
Barber Technician (300 hours)-10 weeks
Cosmetology Crossover (300 hours)-10 weeks
Hair Weaving (300 hours)-10 weeks
Hair Braiding (35 hours)-1 week
What kind of certification will I get when I graduate?
A certificate of completion will be awarded by the school.
© 2020 Barber Institute of Texas. All Rights Reserved